For all new, upcoming and current exhibitions, planetarium shows, education and public programmes and events, and Friends activities currently on at Iziko Museums of South Africa, please see the Iziko website and follow us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-the-minute details.
- All adults and accompanying children enjoy *HALF-PRICE ENTRY at all Iziko museums during the local school holidays 29 March to 9 April 2018(*excl. Castle of Good Hope, Groot Constantia and Planetarium).
- All visitors enjoy *FREE ENTRY at all Iziko museums this Freedom Day, 27 April; International Museum Day, 18 May; and Africa Day, 25 May (*excl. the Planetarium and Digital Dome, Castle of Good Hope and Groot Constantia, and museums closed for renovation and repair)
Holiday education programme
- Kids! This April school holiday you can experience two of Iziko’s museums in a new way! From behind-the-scenes tours in a palaeontology (fossil) laboratory, drumming sessions in the amphitheatre, to a Gallery Hunt in the Iziko South African National Gallery! Date: 5 April 2018 Time: 09:30–13:00 Age: 7–15 years Cost: Free Bookings and enquiries: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org Booking is essential, max 30 children. Please bring a packed lunch. Each participant will receive an Iziko tote bag with fun activities and resources.
- Still Figuring Out What it is to be a ManThis multi-media exhibition arose against abackdrop of increasing gender-based and sexual violence perpetrated by men in South African society, that has prompted a growing focus on masculinity. Opens at the ISL on 4 April 2018.
- I Am What I Am: Places, Faces and Spacesenters into conversation on the legalisation of sex workers; the history of the Slave Lodge as an unofficial “slave brothel”; and an insertion of outcasts and marginalised bodies into spaces of institutional memory. It is herstory in the making. Opens at the ISL on 4 April 2018.
- Friends 50: Celebrating half a century of supportThis golden anniversary exhibition reveals the amazing contribution made by the Friends of the Iziko South African National Gallery over 50 years of consistent support in terms of funding acquisitions, education and conservation projects. Opens at the ISANG on 19 April until 21 October 2018.
- Hemelliggaam or The Attempt To Be Here Now (Chapter one)Through photographs and videos, this exhibition by Tommaso Fiscaletti and Nic Grobler explores the existential aspects of the human-environment-astronomy relationship. Closes at the ISAM on 22 April 2018.
- El Anatsui – Meyinamarks the first solo exhibition of El Anatsui – one of the most influential contemporary artists – in South Africa. The exhibition will showcase the artist’s recent large-scale sculptural installations, which read like intricate tapestries. Closes at the ISANG on 29 April 2018.
Friends of the Iziko South African Museum
- Thursday, 5 April Visit the Bolus Collection and tour the Bolus Library at the University of Cape Town
- Tuesday, 24 April Guided tour of District 6 Museum
- Wednesday, 25 April John Gribble presents a lecture: “The Mendi: Rediscovering a Forgotten Shipwreck”
- Wednesday, 30 MayTony Murray presents, “The Road to Prosperity – How Pioneer Engineers Built the Colonial Highway tothe Eastern Province”
Contact the Friends for details and costs of these events viaemail email@example.com; Wednesday & Friday, 09:00–15:00. Tel. 021 481 3913; or Charlotte on Cell. 072 225 6893 weekdays 10:00–12:00.