Join our free-to-enter Animal Power Superhero challenge. Selected participants will enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the Archaeology Collection at the Iziko South African Museum*, stand the chance to walk away with a professional illustration of their superhero or have their superhero showcased on the Iziko Virtual Museum
Full list of awards to be announced on Social Media
Symbols are images, marks or shapes that have meaning, or represent something. Create your own superhero, with powers that include animal attributes and/or animal symbols. There are two categories of entry:
Get inspired by the Animal Power resource pack and create a South African Superhero that has at least two animal inspired powers.
- There are two categories: Freehand and Digital
- Anyone can enter;
- It is free to enter;
- You must follow the brief and submission guide
- The closing date is Sunday, 4 October 2020
- There is a limit to two entries per category per person
- No plagiarism will be accepted
- 10 finalists will be selected by our panel led by Nkosingiphile Mazibuko (@MaziBornArt) and will be showcased on Iziko’s various platforms.
- By submitting your artwork to email@example.com you give Iziko Museums of South Africa permission to showcase your work on the various Iziko platforms including on exhibition and in marketing material for free. Iziko Museums of South Africa will not sell your work to a third party.
- Ten artworks will be shortlisted (five in each category) Digital and Freehand.
Follow these submission guidelines carefully.
A digital file, scan or picture of your superhero creation (no larger than 2MB and using either JPEG or PDF format) must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject of your mail should be: Animal Power Superhero 2020
To be considered for shortlisting, please ensure you include the following details in the body of your email:
- Your name and surname
(If you want to be credited under a different name such as a Social Media handle please include and indicate this too)
- Your email address
- Your contact number
- Your Social Media handles (if you want us to use them) should you be shortlisted.
- If you are under 16 please include a note of consent from a parent/teacher/guardian.
By submitting your artwork to email@example.com you give Iziko Museums of South Africa permission to showcase your work on the various Iziko platforms including on exhibition for free. Iziko Museums of South Africa will not sell your artwork to a third party.
The digital file/s or picture/s of your superhero must be submitted no later than Sunday, 4 October 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How are the successful Animal Power Superhero’s chosen?
After the submission deadline, all pieces will be assessed by an Iziko panel, including Glynn Alard and Amy Sephton. The panel will be led by Nkosingiphile Mazibuko AKA Mazi (@mazibornArt) – an exciting illustrator known for his use of digital illustrations that celebrate South Africans. He has worked for Super Strikas a Pan African football-themed comic and with the Kwezi comics team. His work includes being part of the award-winning Childhood Development organisation (Book Dash), where he was part of the team that created children books. He was a top-three finalist at the Eastern Cape Arts & Culture Awards for Best 2D Visual Artist 2019/2020. Find his work on Instagram @MaziBornArt.
Digital Challenge Criteria
The panel assesses many different elements including artistic skill, originality and creativity, use of animal abilities and/or features, overall composition and impact.
Freehand Challenge Criteria
The panel assesses many different elements including originality and creativity, use of animal abilities and/or features, overall impact.
How many pieces can I submit?
There is a limit to two entries per category per person
What’s the closing date for submissions?
Sunday, 4 October 2020
Can my artwork be of anything?
- Your entry must be an original two-dimensional creation of a Superhero either in animal or human form or a merge of both.
- You must follow the brief outlined at the beginning of this document
Who can enter?
You can live anywhere in the world.
If you are under the age of 16, a parent/guardian/teacher should write a note of consent – please include this with your submission.
Why should I contribute?
Do you ever dream about helping the world to become a better place? Find yourself fantasizing about protecting the public? Entertain the idea of fighting daily crime and stopping all evil? Now’s your chance to bring these dreams to life and share them with others.
For the 10 finalists there are additional tangible benefits:
- The 10 finalists, as selected by our expert panel, will have their artwork displayed on Iziko Museums of South Africa platforms.
- The 10 finalists will be eligible for awards (see Awards below) and have the chance to be featured in press releases about award and Iziko.
Selected participants will:
- Enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour of the Archaeology Collection at the Iziko South African Museum*
- Walk away with a professional illustration of their superhero (Freehand category)
- Have their Superheroshowcased on the Iziko Virtual Museum.
- Are eligible to receive the Animal Power Superhero Award, chosen by the panel.
- The tours will be at the curator's discretion
- The tour is subject to lockdown regulations
- Travel arrangements (costs) to Cape Town for participants from 1) other parts of South Africa and 2) the globe are to be borne by the participant.