Unlimited free entry to 18 year olds and under and free entry for all on certain commemorative days
Iziko Museums operate 12 National Museums in Cape Town. The museums that make up Iziko have their own history and character presenting extensive art, social and natural history collections which reflect our diverse African heritage.
Iziko is committed to increasing access to the nations’ heritage and allows free access to all on certain commemorative days. In addition, youth aged 18 and under can enjoy unlimited free access throughout the year (this excludes the Castle of Good Hope and Planetarium).
As of 1 April 2011, Iziko Museums will introduce new entrance fees and operating times.
The Iziko South African Museum (ISAM), Planetarium, Iziko South African National Gallery (ISANG), Iziko Groot Constantia (IGC) and Iziko Maritime Centre (IMC) will be open daily from 10:00 – 17:00 and closed on Workers Day and Christmas Day.
The Iziko Michaelis Collection at the Old Town House (IOTH), Iziko Slave Lodge (ISL) and the Iziko Bo-Kaap Museum (IBK) will be open Mon to Saturdays: 10h00-17h00. The museums will be closed on Sundays, Workers Day and Christmas Day. In addition, to these public holidays, the Bo-Kaap will also be closed on Ei-ul Fitr, Eid-ul Adha and 2 January.
The Iziko Koopmans-de Wet House (IKDW), Iziko Bertram House (IBH), Iziko Rust en Vreugd, (IR&V) and the Iziko Social History Centre (ISHC) will operate from Mon to Fri: 10h00 -17h00 and will be closed on Saturdays, Sundays, Workers Day and Christmas Day.
The operating times and fees for the Iziko William Fehr and Good Hope Collections at the Castle of Good Hope remain unchanged.
Individuals aged 18 and under will be granted unlimited free access to all Iziko Museums (excluding the Castle of Good Hope and Planetarium). Entrance fees to the museums have been adjusted as follows:
- ISAM, ISANG, ISL and IGC will be R20 for visitors aged 19 and older and R10 for students and SA Pensioners.
- Planetarium shows will be R25 for visitors aged 19 and older. Children, students and SA Pensioners will pay R10. Booked school groups pay R6 per learner.
- IBK, IKDW, IOTH, IBH, IMC will be R10 for visitors aged 19 and older and R5 for students and SA Pensioners.
- Access to IR&V as well as the Social History Library at ISHC, remain free of charge. Donations are welcomed.
- School groups will have free entrance to Iziko Museums. Services and materials provided by the Education and Public Programmes department will incur a cost of R2 per learner.
- Planetarium show bookings will be charged at R6. Contact Ms Lungi Mvimbi on 021 481 3800 or via email on email@example.com for school bookings and enquiries.
- Booking procedures for the Castle of Good Hope remain unchanged.
- Iziko is an isiXhosa word, meaning ‘hearth’, traditionally and symbolically the social centre of the home; a place associated with warmth, kinship and ancestral spirits. Here food is prepared and shared, stories are told and knowledge passed from one generation to the next. Similarly, the museums that make up Iziko are spaces for cultural interaction where knowledge is shared, stories told and experiences enjoyed.
For more information, visit www.iziko.org.za or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Text & Photographs © Iziko Museums.
Artworks & Artwork Reproductions © Featured Artists.
No photographs of artworks, images or design components incorporating artworks may be reproduced, sold or transmitted in any form without written permission from Iziko Museums.