Hot & Happening
Upcoming and current exhibitions, planetarium shows, education and public programmes and events, and ‘friends’ activities currently on at Iziko Museums of South Africa.
- Standard Bank Young Artist Award – Mary Sibande: The Purple Shall Governopens on 27 November at the Iziko South African National Gallery
- The Craft of Ubuntu: An Exploration of Collaboration Through Makingopens at the Iziko South African National Gallery Annexe on 2 December
- Ships of Bondage and the Fight for Freedomopens on 3 December at the Iziko Slave Lodge
- With their varied shows suitable for kids and teens, the Iziko Planetarium remains a popular and inexpensive choice for keeping children busy during the school holidays. See the Iziko website for show details.
- The Iziko Mobile Museum, as part of its outreach programmes, will participate in the 13th annual RCS Gugulethu Reconciliation Day Race starting and finishing at NY 49 Stadium in Gugulethu on Reconciliation Day – 16 December 2013.
- The popular Robotics and Aviation Holiday Workshop (Grade 1–4) and Mindstorms Robotics Holiday Workshop (Grade 5–9) take place on 9, 10 & 11 December. Fee: R450 per child for all 3 days, per workshop. Venue: Iziko South African National Gallery Annexe, St John’s Rd.
- EPP’s Social History Education offers: Boat-making: Models of slave ships (slavers) used by the VOC Date: 13 December Time: 10:00–13:00 Venue: Iziko Maritime Centre, V&A Waterfront Age: 8–14 years Cost: R15
Friends of the Iziko South African Museum presents
- a lecture by Patricia Glyn, well-known eco-explorer, public speaker, radio & TV personality and author:“A story about just how much the Bushmen can teach us about respect for our natural resources and how to preserve them” on 26 November.At the Whale Well, ISAM, at 18:30. Cost: Members R30, non-members R50
- a lecture on 25 February entitled “The reinvention of a Pathology Museum” by Dr Jane Yeats Time: 18:30 for 19:00 Venue: TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM
- a guided tour of the UCT Pathology Museum will be scheduled for the following week.
- A talk by Dr Patrick Woudt, Department of Astronomy, University of Cape Town on 25 March Time: 18:30 for 19:00 Venue: TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM
Note: The Friends office will be closed from 18 December 2013 and reopens on 15 January 2014. There will be no activities in December 2013 or January 2014.
Join the Friends of the Iziko South African National Gallery for a
- walkabout by Stephen Croeser of Opening ‘Plato’s Cave’: The Legacy of Kevin Atkinson (1939–2007) at the ISANG on 24 November at 11:00. Members R30, non-members R40, students R20
- walkabout by 2013 Standard Bank Young Artist Award winner Mary Sibande at the ISANG on 28 November at 13:00. Members R30, non-members R40
- lecture, “London Bridge: From Londinium to Lake Havasu” by Edward Saunders at 17:30, TH Barry Lecture Theatre, ISAM on 3 December. Members R70, non-members R95
- walkabout of the exhibition of SPI National Portrait Awards 2013 by Stephan Welz & Co on 7 December at 11:00, The Great Cellar, Alphen Estate, Alphen Drive, Constantia. Cost: Members R30, non-members R40
Friends of the Iziko Michaelis Collection presents
- the Chairperson’s Choice Walkabouton 18 January. Michael Godby, Chairperson of the Friends of the Iziko Michaelis Collection, will lead a walkabout in the Old Town House under the theme ‘Things’. Refreshments will be served at the end of the walkabout. Time: 10:30 for 11:00 Cost: Members R40, non-members R60
- a piano concerton 19 February. Pianist Christopher Culpo returns for a solo piano concert in benefit of the Old Town House. For more information refer to the Friends website or Facebook page. Time: 18:00 Cost: R100
- “The Michaelis Collection Centenary Year Celebrations”. For details about events scheduled around these celebrations, please see the Iziko website or the “Friends of the Michaelis” Facebook page.
- Words of Slaves: Places of Memorycloses at the Iziko Slave Lodge on 30 November
- R-A-T: An Associative Orderingwraps up at Iziko South African Museum on 8 December
- At the Iziko Slave Lodge, the“Labels” an artwork installation by Siemon Allen and The isishweshwe story: material women? exhibitions both conclude at the end of December 2013.
- At Rust en Vreugd, the moving audio installation, Between Words and Imagesruns until end January 2014.