- Buitenkant Street, opposite the Grand Parade, Cape Town
- Open daily from 09h30 to 15h30
- Closed on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
- Tel: +27 (0)21 467 7223
- Adults R30 (Sunday R25)
- Children under 5 years free 5 to 18 years R15 (Sunday R10)
- SA students R15 (Sunday R10); SA pensioners R15 (Sunday R10)
William Fehr Collection at the Castle of Good Hope
Due to restoration and renovation at the Castle of Good Hope, the following Iziko Museum spaces at the Castle will be closed for 3-4 months until June 2015:
- The Secunde’s House.
- The Granary which houses the exhibition Fired: an exhibition of South African Ceramics.
- The Good Hope Gallery.
The Castle of Good Hope will remain open to the public during this period. The William Fehr collection at the Castle is currently open to the public. Also view the William Fehr Collection of artworks on paper at Iziko Rust en Vreugd, located at 78 Buitenkant Street, Cape Town.
Fine and interesting examples of paintings and decorative arts of special relevance to the Cape are to be found in the William Fehr Collection. Contained in the collection is a wealth of historical information concerning the peoples and landscapes of early colonial South Africa. It is one of the most important public collections of artefacts of the period.
The collection is on another level a reflection of the outlook and aesthetics of one person. William Fehr was born in 1892 in Burghersdorp, Cape. A businessman by profession, he cherished a love of pictorial art. It was in the late 1920s that his attention turned to collecting South African-related paintings, prints and drawings. He later extended his interest to furniture and other objects.
William Fehr acquired objects and art works at a time when there were still few private collectors and little systematic collecting by local public institutions. He lent his collection for public exhibition at the Castle in 1952. In 1964 the South African government purchased his oil paintings, furniture, ceramics metal and glassware. In the following year he donated his unique collection of art works on paper to South Africans, to be placed in Rust en Vreugd, a short distance away from the Castle. Dr William Fehr died in 1968.
Tel: +27 (0)21 467 7205