The Iziko South African National Gallery Annexe (Annexe) is situated to the left of the SA National Gallery, on St Johns Road. It can also be accessed from the Company’s Garden. The Iziko Art Collection Library, one of the oldest and most extensive art libraries in South Africa, Iziko’s Human Resource Department, as well as the Art Education Unit is located at the Annexe.
The Gallery Annexe is an educational space of making, exploration and discovery. Exhibitions, workshops and programmes, are facilitated by the Education and Public Programmes Art Education Unit, takes place in the Annexe.
The Gallery Annexe building has a long history of serving the community through education. From 1867 to 2007, the St Aloysius’ Primary School, the first Marist Brother’s school on the African continent, was located in this building. Later, St Joseph’s Academy was established on the upper floor. St Joseph’s College subsequently moved to Rondebosch and in 2007, St Aloysius’ was incorporated into St Joseph’s College in Rondebosch.
The Annexe then became part of the Iziko South African National Gallery and became the home of the Art Collection Library.
Closed to the public until 17 April 2020, or unless otherwise advised by Presidential announcements.